Application modernization of solution for India’s 2nd largest NGO from Microfinance Sector
2. The unit cost of development & support for VB6 had just become more expensive compared to Vb.Net.
4. There would be no control over the desktop configuration & maintenance in the partner locations. At partner’s place without the availability of prescribed desktops it was becoming difficult with the ‘dll hell’ issues and performance issues (especially the loan outstanding with interest overdue reports which were time sensitive reports).
5. Not all places of data entry had internet access, and many places still had dial-up connections.
The existing solution had the following layers:
Based on the existing technology the new distributed and web based feature and the ground realities of the internet connection we suggested the following architecture to the client and was accepted:
The individual location would have VB.Net windows forms with MS SQL Express database. The server has SQL Server. Wherever there was internet connection the data exchange would happen using MS Sync server. For non – internet based connection a back up facility was provided on the desktop software which would create data backup and this could be sent on CD. The server had the facility to read the data from the CD and merge with the main database.
The partners of the client would access the data from the server using Asp.net pages and report viewer.
The new technology layer has the following:
By going ahead with the above approach we could solve the business & technical issues of the customer.
1. Central report access & usage has gone up by 100%
2. Support calls reduced by almost 30% with respect to installation and data backup related issues.
3. Per unit cost of feature addition has reduced compared to the spend in 2010.
4. This project was considered for Prime Minister’s Rural Innovation enabler prize in 2010.